Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Awesome Dirty Rice recipe

For some strange reason, a couple weeks ago I decided I needed to make dirty rice from scratch.  I started looking for recipes.  I needed to find one that didn't require chicken livers or gizzards.  I found quite a few.  But I was still hesitant.  So, I got in touch with one of my brothers in New Orleans to see what he thought.  He just happened to be with a female friend of his at the time that I called him.  And she gave me the list of ingredients and a couple of hints.  Here's what I threw together with their help.
 Granted, it isn't pretty.  But it was phenomenal!

Rene and Jayme's Dirty Rice

2 1/2 c white rice
3T butter
2T olive oil
4 c beef broth
2c water
1 lb ground beef
2 onions, chopped very finely
1/2 green pepper, chopped very finely
2 stalks celery, chopped very finely
4 green onions
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
Cajun seasoning to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste

Brown rice in butter and olive oil.  Add broth and water.  Bring to boil and cook for 20-25 minutes, until rice is done.

In separate pan, brown ground beef.  Add vegetables, soup mix, seasoning and pepper.  cook until vegetables are soft. (Save green tops of green onions for later)

Add ground beef/vegetable mixture to rice.  Add salt to taste.  Add green onion tops


Hint: Even if you don't like green peppers, don't skip them.  They really add something.

No comments:

Post a Comment