Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cream Cheese Chicken modification

I have this crock pot recipe that I got from Mastercook. JL really loves it. I wanted to make it this week before he goes to his dad but schedules didn't allow for crockpotting it. So, I decided to try it on the stovetop.

First, I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I sauteed them in butter and garlic. Of course. Then I took the chicken out and added a little more butter and a chopped onion. My family would eat sauteed onions in anything. After the onions were soft, I added the chicken (cut into pieces) back in and sprinkled a package of dry italian dressing mix over it.

While that was simmering (it was really based more on when we were going to be ready to eat than anything else), I cooked some plain old white rice. I also mixed together a block of cream cheese, a can of cream of mushroom soup and four chopped up green onions. While the rice was cooking, I added the cream cheese mixture to the chicken stuff. (I used my Paula Deen skillet that holds enough for my whole family. LOVE that skillet.) I simmered it on medium for about 10 minutes, stirring it every now and then to make sure it was all mixed up. Then I turned it to low and just let it keep going until we were ready to eat.

It was WAY yummy. Doug liked it better than the crock pot version, which is runnier because I add a can of chicken broth to keep the chicken from getting too dry.

The origina recipe also calls for 1/2 c sherry or wine. But I forgot. Doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment