Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Pork Chop Hashbrown Casserole

Last night, I was looking for a creative way to make pork chops -- without having to go to the grocery store. I looked at a number of recipes online. The one that really caught my attention was something called Pork Chop Casserole -- which was basically pork chops on top of sliced potatoes. Interesting. But no potatoes at home -- or not enough.

But the freezer did hold two bags of frozen hashbrowns. And I had all the ingredients to make Hashbrown Casserole (aka Mormon Funeral Potatoes). So my little mind shifted into overdrive. I could absolutely come up with something.

I was excited to see what would happen. I rushed home after work, changed into my grungy clothes (i'm a messy cook!) and got to work.

Step 1: Melt 1/2 stick butter in my infamous Paula Deen skillet and sauté one onion. (Note: the onions that I have right now are HUGE!) Add a little garlic.

Step 2: Get the pork chops ready. Mix a couple eggs and some milk in a bowl. On a plate, mix bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs or shake and bake) with some parmesan cheese.

Step 3: Remove onions from skillet.

Step 4: Heat olive oil and a little more garlic in PD skillet. Dip pork chops in milk/egg mixture then in breading. Brown in PD skillet. Only turn once so breading doesn't fall off. Even with my wonderful skillet, it takes two or three batches depending on the number of pork chops.

Step 5: While pork chops are browning, mix 1 package cream cheese, 1 can cream of something soup (I used chicken last night), some grated cheese, a few sliced green onions, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add sauteéd onions. Mix with a package of thawed out shredded hash browns. Put mixture in bottom of baking dish. (Last night, I made entirely too much. I used 1 1/2 packages of hashbrowns and 8 or 10 pork chops).

Step 6: Put browned pork chops on top of hashbrown mixture. Cook in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Ten minutes before done, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the pork chops.

Notes to self:

1. Make sure onions are soft because that's how the family likes them.
2. Ideal number of pork chops for my family is 6.
3. I want to try diced potatoes in this, too.
4. Next time, maybe we should try browning the hashbrowns a little. Family said they were good. Funeral potatoes aren't really browned either, but they have cornflakes on top, which makes the whole thing crunchy.

Definitely a success. Hubby REALLY liked the cheese on top of the pork chops. Kids loved it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment