Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pasta, Cream, Sausage and Tomatoes

First, I'd like to thank Michelle of http://www.bigblackdogs.net/ (Twitter @BigBlackDogs).  This is her recipe.  I saw it on Twitter yesterday and realized that it was a perfect way to use the italian sausage that I had thawed in the refrigerator for dinner last night!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes and Cream

2 TBL Olive Oil
1 LB Sweet Italian Sausage sweet
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (I use 1/4 tsp Hot Hungarian Paprika)
4-5 Green Onions, diced
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can Italian diced tomatoes
1 1/2 c whipping cream (I use light cream)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 lb shaped pasta
3 TBL fresh minced Basil

Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage, crumble and cook in oil with crushed pepper until sausage is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.

Add onion and garlic and cook another 5-7 minutes until tender. Drain tomatoes, chop coarsely and stir into sausage along with cream, salt and basil. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly, about 4 minutes.

In a separate pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta al dente. Drain pasta and add to simmering sauce. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley.


My changes were minimal.  I had hot italian sausage, so I didn't add the crushed red pepper.  (Besides, 17-year-old C really doesn't like spicy food.  I'm not sure how ended up as a member of our family!)   And I cut the amount of tomatoes in half so that my family wouldn't protest their presence.  That's really all I did differently. (Oh, I didn't have cavatappi pasta, so I used some other cool shape!)  It was awesome.  It was easy.  Family loved it.  And, I usually have most of these ingredients.  This is definitely in the rotation for weeknight dinners!!

The only changes I'll make from now on is to add black pepper and increase the amount of green onions and skip the parsley.

Thanks again, Michelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment