Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sausage roll

Last night's dinner was one of those things that my husband raved about. Of course, I was pretty sure he'd like it because it had many of his favorite ingredients.  I started out with "Mom's Sausage Roll" from allrecipes.com.  But I knew it needed modification -- primarily because my husband does not eat anything egg related.  So, I didn't use egg at all except to brush on the outside of the loaves.

First, I scaled the recipe. It says that it's 18 servings for the allrecipes.com version.

Ingredients

2 1-lb loaves frozen bread dough
2 pounds Italian pork sausage
1/2 pound sliced pepperoni
5 green onions
2 1/2 c shredded italian blend cheese  (any type would work)
1/2 c shredded parmesan
2 eggs, well beaten

  1. Thaw frozen bread dough.  (I took mine out of the freezer before work and let it thaw in the refrigerator during the day.  It was perfect)
  2. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.  Add chopped green onions. Drain and set aside.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish. (I cooked my two loaves together and they kind of morphed into one big loaf.  Next time, I will use separate baking dishes for each loaf or a cooking sheet.)
  4. One loaf at a time on a lightly floured surface, roll the bread dough into a sheet approximately 1/4 inch or less thick. Spread 1/2 of the sausage,1/2 of the pepperoni and 1/2 of the cheese evenly over each dough sheet. Roll into a loaf.
  5. One at a time, place rolled loaves into the prepared baking dish, brush with 1/2 of the beaten egg mixture and bake in the preheated oven 30 to 45 minutes, until golden brown.
 There are a couple things that I may try differently next time.  First, any combination of meats and cheeses would be great.  I may add sauteed onions and mushrooms.  I also might do something different with the pepperoni, like brown it first.  Also, I may try smoked sausage in place of pepperoni (because I like it better).
There would be lots of ways to change this.

I may try making smaller loaves -- individual size.


It's definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment